Hello and How's It Goin' ??? ... Tushkateers !!!
Last night, I got to 'thinking!!!' (Imagine that!!!)
How can we live an 'authentic life' if we are 'heavily' influenced by others? How is that other people's opinions and advice color our own experiences and opinions?
Chew on This: New findings suggest that a person's ability to fully take-in, chew on and consider the facts that they have gleaned from their own experiences and their ability to go with those facts (vs. others' opinions) may be based, in large part, on genetics!!!
For instance, let's say that you are on Facebook or another 'chatty' port on the Internet, and your friends and Internet acquaintances have posted positive reviews about a movie that you've seen and not loved - at least not to the extent that your peers do.
Do you think that maybe you are wrong? The next time someone mentions that movie, do you say how much you liked it? How about a 'diet muffin' that people are raving about? You've tried it and thought it mediocre and not worth the price, but everyone else likes it so much; so you begin to doubt yourself (again) and next visit to the supermarket, you buy a box expecting to like it?
People are subject to what scientists call "The Confirmation Bias." The disconnect between our 'impressions' or 'experiences' of something and what 'they' tell us to expect occurs in part because these two forms of information, the advice and the experiential, are processed in different parts of the brain.
Advice is processed by the prefrontal cortex. Experience is housed in the stiatum, a more primitive region of the brain. People tend to depend upon, or believe their prefrontal cortex more times than perhaps they should. When we 'believe' the prefrontal cortex time and again, it changes the way the striatum operates, and we 'learn' to be 'bias' against our actual experiences.
Researchers pinpointed one gene, in particular, COMT, which apparently plays a major role in your ability to learn from your own experiences (sometimes known as mistakes!). Their study indicated that people with different alleles (generally a group of genes) had different propensities to be biased by other peope's advice. The two versions of the alleles are named 'Val/Val' and 'Met.'
People who are more likely to toss out other people's opinions and advice in favor of their own experience have the 'Val/Val' allele. Those who need to experience their experience a few times before having enough confidence to go with it have more likely to have the 'Met' allele.
How is this useful in the Land of Permanent Weight Removal?
What should you do with this information?
1. MET vs. VAL/VAL: Note which type of person you tend to be, and if you are a person who relies 'heavily' on your prefrontal cortex, if you are a person who is likely have the 'Met' allele, become aware that you are predisposed to 'go with advice and opinion.' If you are a Val/Val person, then note that you are likely to depend on your own experience and then ...
2. APPRECIATE Your BRAIN: There are pluses to both sides of the allele group! Going with advice sometimes turns out to be 'right,' sometimes going with your experience turns out to be 'right.' The important part is that you become aware of your thinking and appreciate your brain, a most magnificent part of you!
4. THOUGHT AWARENESS: Watching your thoughts is an important part of permanent weight removal. Utilize this new tool to cultivate 'thought awareness.'
5. YOUR THOUGHT: And once again (you may have heard me say this before) ... Just because you had a thought, doesn't mean it's a good one. (Feel free to quote me on that one!!!) Ask yourself, "Whose thought was that?" "Was that a useful thought."
6. REVIEW: Met or Val/Val allele - it is a good idea to STOP - HEAR Your Thoughts - And QUESTION them.
(Source: The Journal of Neuroscience, Dr. Bradley Doll, April 19)
What do you think? Wise, interesting and useful information, yes? The very next time I question myself based on other people's opinions and advice, I am going to stop, ponder my genetic make-up and review my thoughts!
And now ... the main course - What else is in this week's KICK in the TUSH e-letter???
Look to your right --> (no your other right --->) for your GET JIGGY WEIGHT LOSS PUZZLE - JON HAMM & MAD MEN BOWL W. OLofWL ... really??? - from Your Dysfunctional Chef - SLOW COOKING ROTISSERIE CHICKEN (to die delish) - and ...EXPERIENCE Quotes that will Change YOUR EXPERIENCE about YOUR EXPERIENCES ... plus fascinating faToids about MAY DAY. It is MAY DAY, you know!! Are you going to dance around the May Pole? AND, for schizzel-me-timbers, be sure to scroll down and read about my FEED YOUR SOUL workshop. YOU do NOT want to miss this one!!! It's in September, so no excuses! If you are thinking of signing up, do so now!!! Both parts of your brain will thank you for it.
Both OLofWL and I seriously love hearing from you! And if you are interested in my coaching services, then scroll down, read on - and contact me for a free consult. It is my pleasure to meet Tushkateers across the land! Be sure to Write "CONSULT" in the subject line! And - AGAIN!!! - consider signing up for my workshop Feed Your Soul: Change Your Life (your body, your mind, your pocketbook, your outlook, your thoughts, your being ... your everything :) YOU WON'T BE SORRY!!! TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH AND GO FOR IT!!!
Spread the word ... NOT the icing!
SIGN UP FOR THIS WORKSHOP - it will change your life in ways that you haden't thought possible.
- I know it's a bit of a stretch, to ask you to think about what you are doing in September, but before you know it - September will be here!!! And with it an opportunity for you to join with OLofWL and ME at the most amazing wellness center - Hollyhock on Cortes Island, Canada
! for the most awesome, amazing and life-changing workshop!!!
Feed Your Soul, Change Your Weight
Sep 16 - 19, 2012
Forever change the way you experience health, wellness, dieting, food, and yourself. Make health and weight loss fun through hypnosis, visualization techniques, strategies rooted in positive psychology and super-sized platters of creativity. Make peace with the mechanisms and patterns that underlie your self-sabotaging thinking and behavior. Strengthen your commitment to yourself, create healthy habits and learn to feel comfortable in your body. Free yourself from your food obsession and cure emotional eating. Take home tools and techniques that make the journey fun and motivation that lasts. ... Read more!
This week's photo ...
from my Pinterest 'things I MUST Have" board!
Is this cool or creepy? I can't decide, but I do know that it's captured my imagination!!! Are you into Pinterest? Visit me: http://pinterest.com/jannytaylor/